A friend of mine, bless her heart, reminded me today about the practice of the gratitude list. A yes, a brief daily review of all that is well and good. Just 10 things she said. Due to the weekend’s swirl of domestic turbulence and mundane obligations, I really needed her suggestion today; I needed a new lens to focus through.
So ,this is what I am thankful for today:
1. The warm weather is here! Time to lower the screen shades over the porches and get the watering done early in the day. 92 degrees was the high but it came with a balmy wind, a perfectly dreamy combination….
2. Morning time in the garden. A day like this is too hot to do any real work. Upkeep involves strolling past each of the beds, checking for snail damage (minimal today) and for emerging seedlings (none yet). It’s the best time to admire what’s blooming before the heat of the day wraps its coma around the garden. And there is SO much to admire… the glory of high spring is here!
3. Book group meeting today! Every six weeks or so I get to get together with an excellent group of women in the charming Clarksburg home of one of our members. It’s a lovely country home with a glorious back porch that looks out into the the surrounding fields of grapevines. My friend is a generous host, the food is always delicious, the art on the walls and the whimsical touches make her home welcoming and fascinating. The company is terrific…and we even sometimes get around to talking about the book!
4. Reading. I am always in awe of a well-written novel and how easy it can be to escape into one. I forget how much I like to simply hole up in my bedroom and disappear into someone else’s story. It doesn’t happen all that often but when it does I’m grateful for the break it gives me. I’m still reading our book group choice for last month, “The Paris Wife” by Paula McLain. Emotionally engaging, and spot on in both tone and voice I’m sure I’ll be recommending it to friends…once I actually finish it!
5. Swimming season has started. Well, not quite yet for me (mama needs the water a little warmer) but my kids had back to back swimming invitations today and spent their time jumping in and out of the water like happy little otters. I think the almost five year old will finally become a proficient swimmer this summer, always a comforting achievement.
6. Outdoor living: Coffee in the morning sun, dinner with friends on the patio in the late afternoon sun and that hammock sure is looking appealing for napping. The activity of our household spills into the outdoor spaces this time of year and somehow everything is better….
7. Good friends who are like family and make space for us at the drop of a hat, in their home, in their hearts and at their table. It’s not always easy this life, but it sure is sweeter with the company of old friends.
8. I am also grateful for newer friends who are loving and open, willing to listen and patient enough to hang around with me no matter what stage of the roller coaster I happen to be on. Also thanks for not holding my potty mouth against me. You know who you are and I love you for it!
9. My husband. I know our life together was written on the stars before I ever even met you. So that’s that. Even in the hardest struggle. Always and forever. Thanks for a good day today.xo
10. My children: smart, funny, beautiful, angry, challenging, fierce thoughtful, loving and intense. They turn my life inside-out on a daily basis, they define my life in their presence and their absence. I have been and always will be, forever changed and marked by them.
And for that, I am grateful.
Happy Sunday, over and out.